Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Are scholarships or travel awards available?

A. Pending the availability of funds, a limited number of Early Career Investigator Awards may be available from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism to support conference attendance of early career investigators interested in addiction health services research. These awards would provide up to $1000 to cover conference attendance costs (transportation, lodging, registration). Eligible candidates must be no more than 5 years removed from their terminal research degree; not have served as PI on an NIH R01 or equivalent research grant; not have previously received an AHSR new investigator (or travel) award; and must be the presenting author on an accepted oral or poster presentation at AHSR 2016.  Conference planners are currently reviewing abstracts from those who indicated a need for this award in their abstract submission. Awardees will be notified as soon as decisions are made so they can finalize plans to attend the conference. There were far more applicants than available awards, so we encourage you to look for other support in the meantime.

A seperate travel award generously sponsored by the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation is available to young investigators studying screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) services for adolescents. Recipients must attend the pre-conference workshop on Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment for Adolescents on Thursday, October 13 as well as the rest of the AHSR conference. Click for eligibility information and to apply for this award. Deadline to apply has been extended to September 14.

General scholarships are not available. We encourage interested attendees to seek assistance from graduate schools/student funds, professional development funds from employers and professional societies of which you're a member, and from SSAs and BHOs in your state.

Q. Will CME or other CEU be available for the AHSR 2016 Conference?

A. AHSR conferences do not typically offer CME. The University of Washington Alcohol & Drug Abuse Institute will issue a Certificate of Completion which can document continuing education for certain professions licensed by the Washington State Dept. of Health.  Those professions include social workers, psychologists, mental health counselors, marriage and family therapists, and chemical dependency professionals Attendees from outside Washington may also request a Certificate from ADAI, but we cannot guarantee it will be accepted by licensing boards in other states.

October 13: Preconference Workshop on SBIRT for Adolescents (3 CE hrs)
October 13: Preconference Workshop on Implementation (1.5 CE hrs)
October 13: Preconference Workshop on NIH Policies & Priorities (1.5 CE hrs)
October 14: Conference Day 1 ( 9.0 CE hrs)
October 15: Conference Day 2 ( 4.25 CE hrs)

Certificates will be emailed upon request after the AHSR conference; they will not be distributed at the conference. To request a certificate, email after the conference. You must have registered for and atttended the AHSR conference and/or pre-conference workshop to receive a Certificate.

Questions? Email to:

Alcohol and Drug Abuse Institute University of WashingtonNW Addiction Technology Transfer Center